Sunday, April 22, 2012

Know yourself so that you may know God

Here are the Youversion notes.

Reading 1 - Samuel

1 Samuel 15:20-26 NIV
"But I did obey the lord," Saul said. "I went on the mission the lord assigned me. I completely destroyed the Amalekites and brought back Agag their king. The soldiers took sheep and cattle from the plunder, the best of what was devoted to God, in order to sacrifice them to the lord your God at Gilgal." But Samuel replied: "Does the lord delight in burnt offerings and sacrifices as much as in obeying the lord? To obey is better than sacrifice, and to heed is better than the fat of rams. For rebellion is like the sin of divination, and arrogance like the evil of idolatry. Because you have rejected the word of the lord, he has rejected you as king." Then Saul said to Samuel, "I have sinned. I violated the lord's command and your instructions. I was afraid of the men and so I gave in to them. Now I beg you, forgive my sin and come back with me, so that I may worship the lord." But Samuel said to him, "I will not go back with you. You have rejected the word of the lord, and the lord has rejected you as king over Israel!"

Reading 2 - David

1 Samuel 17:1 NIV
Now the Philistines gathered their forces for war and assembled at Sokoh in Judah. They pitched camp at Ephes Dammim, between Sokoh and Azekah.

An now the sermon notes

Intro - the problem with emotionally unhealthy spirituality.

Saul is a great example of an emotionally unhealthy person. Iceberg - only 10% shows above the surface, but its the 90% that we can't see where the danger is. In our lives this is the stuff that God is wanting to transform. First step in the journey to emotionally healthy spirituality is knowing yourself so that you may know God. David is a great example of someone who knew himself and his God. As a young man, David overcame 3 obstacles to step up and become the man God had created him to be. 1. His family - how often can the messages and expectations from our families be an obstacle for us. 2. Others in authority - Saul told David he couldn't do it. 3. Goliath - we each have a goliath standing in our way. God has given us unique gifts (David's slingshot) and His strength.

Decision time - do we stay in the trenches scared and helpless like the Israelite army. Unsure of ourselves and God. OR do we stand up like David, confident in ourselves and our God and fight those obstacles, becoming the emotionally healthy person God has created us to be.

My Notes

Do you know who you are? What you like? If you don't know who you are then you can't be in a relationship with anybody else. You can't get to know and have a relationship with God until you know yourself.

May God bless you richly this week.

Richard.

No comments:

Post a Comment