Saturday, June 11, 2011

The week that was 11/06/2011

This week has been a bit of a roller-coaster. Apart from the usual stuff like gym, craft group, chatting with El and the gang, band practice and crochet class (for new readers, I'm there to teach, but I'm also open to learn new stuff) I had computer problems and WWKIP day.

I have been having some issues with computers for a while, with my laptop deciding that it didn't want to stay booted up for long periods (I think leaving it powered up through the heat of summer may have had an adverse affect on it) and an aging desktop with only 512Mb of RAM (you need at least 1G to be able to use a browser for any length of time) being somewhat slow. On Thursday we had an electrician come in to replace a dodgy power point in the kitchen and he needed to shut the power off to do it, so I powered down the desktop for the duration. When I powered it back up the computer failed during the post and required pressing a key on the keyboard. Normally this wouldn't be a problem but I have a USB keyboard and mouse and, while this would be quite OK for modern machines, older machines don't recognise these until the OS boots up, and I didn't have a PS2 keyboard available (or so I thought), so I decided that I needed to find one, and while I was at it, find some more memory and get my wife a USB extension. None of the cheap keyboards come with a PS2 adapter these days so I had to go to a more expensive model and, because this is such an old machine, the memory was quite expensive ($105 for 1G). When I got home and started plugging everything in I noticed the keyboard sitting on a shelf above my desk with a PS2 plug on the end of the cable (d'oh).

I now have a machine with 1.5G of RAM which  runs more or less OK and we have no money left for the rest of the fortnight (we have even spent the craft money we collected a fortnight ago), especially since we had spent quite a bit on printer cartridges earlier in the week. Ah well, I'm sure we'll manage somehow, I just hope we have enough petrol in the car to get us through.

There are a couple of brighter notes to the week, today we spent most of the day at our local LYS in honour of World Wide Knit In Public Day and had a great time chatting with other knitters and crocheters and showing off our work. The other good thing that has happened this week is that I'm getting a lot more comments on my blog thanks to being listed on Tami's amis (http://tamisamis.blogspot.com/) list of WIP Wednesday and FO Friday blogs and I would like to thank all those that have commented. If you ask any questions I will try to answer them, but otherwise don't expect a response as I may be busy reading other peoples blogs, including yours.

That about wraps up my week here, hope you all have had a good one.

Richard.

No comments:

Post a Comment