Friday, December 10, 2010

Latch Hook Rug

For one of my birthdays when I was much younger (18 or 21) I received a latch hook rug kit. I quite enjoyed putting the small rug together but didn't think much more about it.

When I was in my thirties I moved to Melbourne and found myself with quite a bit of spare time and also found a shop not too far away that carried rug wool and canvas so I decided to try and design a rug. I quite like spirals and circles, which don't translate particularly well to a medium that is based on squares, but I thought I would try any way. This is the result.

I have had a few issues with the canvas tending to fall apart at the edges with the corner being particularly problematic. I think I may have even glued some pieces into place.

I have started another rug (about 20 years ago) featuring six spirals, but, due to being busy with other things (like stuff for the markets) it has been neglected for the last few years. Sue decided to take up latch-hook a while ago and we were both doing it for a time, but neither of us has touched our creations (except to pack them for moving) for quite some time.

1 comment:

  1. Well.. I look forward to seeing a finished rug :))
    I have done a couple of rugs, still have a couple of kiddies not completed in a box somewhere.
    Like the rug you have completed here ..

    ReplyDelete