Saturday, January 29, 2011

The week that was 29-01-11

This week started off just like every other week, gym on Monday and chiro for Sue on Tuesday, but then things got a bit different. It being a public holiday here in Aus on Wednesday, Sue couldn't go to her regular Aqua class so I skipped the gym and joined her for a swim in the pool before spending a relaxing afternoon at home.

At 10:30 on Wednesday night we got into a taxi which took us to the railway station and we spent 22 hours out of the next 29 riding in public transport. We took the train from Albury to Moss Vale, a bus to Albion Park, another train to Kiama then a third train took us to Bomaderry. We were then picked up by one of my brothers-in-law and taken to my father's house where we showered and changed ready for lunch. We had lunch with my father and stepmother, 2 sisters and their husbands and my youngest niece. It's not often that we get together like this as my youngest sister and her family live in Mildura and it is so far for them to travel to get together with the rest of the family. This particular gathering was to celebrate my father's 80th birthday (which was almost 2 weeks ago).

After lunch, we returned to dad's place for some birthday cake before returning to the railway station for the trip home.

We didn't fully retrace our steps as that would mean a 3 hour wait in Moss Vale. Instead we skipped the bus trip by taking the train all the way to Sydney Central and catching the Melbourne bound train from there. We only had a hour layover in Sydney which was plenty of time to get dinner. We got back home at about 4:30 on Friday morning having had very little sleep during the preceding 29 hours. While it is very difficult for me to sleep on the train I can't say that I didn't as I'm know I missed seeing at least one station on the north and a few more on the return trip.

I think next time (when dad turns 90 maybe) we will take the car and arrange some accommodation for a couple of nights. While it is cheaper to take the train (us pensioners get a couple of free train trips a year), it's much more comfortable to take the car.

As you might guess, I didn't get to the gym on Friday.

Today has been another busy day finishing with dinner with friends at the club to celebrate my birthday (which is today). I over-ate as I usually do at all-you-can-eat buffets, so I'm going to have to work extra hard at the gym next week.

See you tomorrow for my usual sermon notes.


No comments:

Post a Comment